Thursday, March 25, 2010

Doing The Math...



Have I mentioned that I really don't like math? It's like there's a hole in my head where the numbers were supposed to go. Never had a math class I enjoyed, took the bare minimum required to get out of high school and college and never looked back.

I'm sure my old math teachers were spinning in their graves years later when I was standing in a darkroom trying to calculate the adjustment required in development times to compensate for the fact that the "cold" Texas tap water in summer is quite a few degrees warmer than the directions given for processing black & white film. (I worked as a freelance photographer and darkroom technician in a former life.) And they probably did it again when I was at a fabric store trying to figure out how many 2 1/4 inch squares could be cut from a yard of fabric so I could finish making a quilt, too.

Recently, when announcing an end to my fund raiser for Doctors Without Borders, I was tweeting frantically as matching pledges were coming in, trying to make notes as I went along and keep track of it all. Apparently, I didn't do a very good job, particularly where the math was concerned. Did I mention that I didn't have a calculator handy?

At any rate, the bottom line (ugh - math anology!) is that instead of bringing in $915 as I announced on Twitter and in this blog and on Facebook, what we actually ended up with was only $799.50. I just jotted something down in two different places and then added it up twice and...well, I'll spare you the details. I trust that everything was donated to Doctors Without Borders as pledged, I just didn't add it up right.

So here's what I'm going to do. First, I apologize for any confusion and resulting disappointment that the number is a bit lower than I had hoped. Second, I'm going to donate another $20.50 myself so we end up with a nice even total of $820.00.

Now, having said all that...if anybody else out there wants to make another pledge...I would be happy to add it to that total. Wouldn't it be fun if we could say that soap opera fans gave $1,000....?!

Edited to add:


Please note the comment below from DocT (aka @DrLisaThompson on Twitter) pledging another donation of $80 which now brings our total up to $900!

Anybody else...?

1 comment:

  1. Donna:

    After reading your blog, Dave & I decided to give another $80 to Doctors Without Borders...

    Keep up with the good work!

    ReplyDelete