Friday, September 30, 2011

Ups And Downs


If you need a car and have a few thousand dollars you can buy a car. But if you don't have a few thousand dollars it will cost you a few thousand more to buy the same car. You will buy it on credit and pay for the privilege of buying it a little at a time rather than paying in a single lump sum. So the poorer person will pay much more for the same car than a rich person will.

If you have health insurance you'll pay a certain amount out of pocket when you go to the doctor. If you don't have health insurance you'll have to pay a great deal more out of pocket when you go to the doctor. Which makes it less likely that you'll ever be able to afford the high cost of insurance premiums. Which means you'll continue to pay a great deal more for every medical expense.


It's expensive to be poor in this country.


I majored in History, not Finance. I don't know a lot about how financial institutions work. But I have learned a few lessons from the history of our country.


When the gap between the rich and the poor grows to record proportions

                we all lose.

When the people at the top forget that they need the people at the bottom

                 we all lose.

When the people in the middle are more likely to end up on the bottom than on the top

                 we all lose.


We need each other.

Rich or poor, we need each other.

That's the lasting Truth I saw rise to the top as I watched all the documentaries about 9/11 earlier this month.

We need to invest in each other because we are stronger when we work together.

I hope these are issues we consider the next time we cast our votes.  

I know this isn't like most of my blog articles. But these things have been echoing in my mind for a while now so I thought I'd share them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment