Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Happy 100th Birthday, Grandma!

Yesterday was my grandmother's birthday...her 100th birthday!

I didn't get to go to the party since she lives in Texas and I live in Maryland, but I sent flowers to honor the occasion. I talked to my sister tonight and got a good report of the festivities and it sounds like a good time was had by all, especially Grandma!

A few weeks ago I was in Texas for a brief visit and my sister and brother-in-law and I went to see Grandma. We had brought along some old family photos we'd found that we'd never seen before. One photo showed what appeared to be a large family gathering of some kind...several couples with kids of all ages, one mother holding her baby in her lap. We showed it to her and asked if she knew anything about it. She perked right up and said "Oh, yes! That baby is me! I was six months old!" She said it was a family reunion and she pointed to each person, reciting their names and relationships, telling us the whole story of the event as though it had just happened last week.

We were spellbound. Well, at least I was. My sister was scrambling to write down everything she was telling us so we could have it all documented!

100 years. She told me once how she used to pick cotton as a child of 6 or 7, with the hot Oklahoma dirt burning the soles of her bare feet as she dragged that long sack of cotton behind her. And yesterday, I was ordering flowers for her over the internet and now I'm sharing the story with all of you. 100 years...amazing....

7 comments:

  1. Grandmothers are amazing aren't they! How special that you have her. Sending her lots of birthday love.
    You should scan that picture so you have extra copies!
    100!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well God bless her! Congratulations on reaching this amazing milestone birthday, and continued health and blessings to her on this special occasion.

    Anna from PVB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! :) I hope she had a wonderful birthday. My grandfather lived to almost 103-he saw so many things change in that span of 100+ years. :)
    http://kittyd.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a wonderful story.
    Grandmothers are very special.
    My shop is named after my Grandmother, who is one special 88 year old lady.
    Happy B-day to your Grandmother!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing

    BTW, I live in Maryland too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special picture......fellow etsy seller just poppin in to say hello. I really enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this picture Donna. It reminds me so much of my own grandmother, Memaw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna thank you so much for leading me here. What a wonderful story. It's stories like that, that I hang onto for dear life with now, after losing my Grandma. My best to you at this time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete